Sullivan Street looking South to One World Trade Center. A woman named Harriet and her child were sheltered in a building which was once on the right side of the street just before the hi-rise.
On Sunday, March 20, 2016, a presentation by Don Papson on Secret Lives of the Underground Railroad in New York City: Sydney Howard Gay, Louis Napoleon and the Record of Fugitives aired  on CSPAN 3 American History TV. Mr. Papson spoke about the “Record of Fugitives,” a previously unpublished text from the 1850s kept by abolitionist Sydney Howard Gay, in which he reveals his close collaboration with Louis Napoleon, a free black who helped scores of runaway slaves escape to freedom. Mr. Papson co-wrote the book with Tom Calarco.

Post broadcast, the program is  available on CSPAN’s website: http://www.c-span.org/series/?ahtv.

Don was introduced by Sydney Howard Gay’s great-granddaughter, Otis Kidwell Burger. Since Secret Lives was published in March of 2015, Otis  and Don have become good friends. Otis is 92 years old, feisty, and so passionate about Secret Lives, she has become the book’s “New York City agent!”

This  presentation, which took place on February 24, 2016, at the Jefferson Market Library in Greenwich Village, inspired Don to conduct an in-depth investigation of a  case he and Tom Calarco alluded to in Secret Lives, the story of a woman who escaped from Virginia on the steamship Jamestown. A black family on Sullivan Street sheltered and protected Harriet and her child.

Don speaks about Secret Lives and Gay and Napoleon’s unlikely UGRR alliance.  Because of his friendship with Otis and her cousin, Bess Fuchs, we know so much more than we did a year ago. You see, Bess inherited an important letter…

Watch C-SPAN American History TV to find out why the letter is so significant.

The building where Harriet and her child were sheltered was a brick building across the street from this historic building and may have looked like it.

Comments

05/13/2016 7:28am

Wow I love shopping malls, it is one of the places I go to relax and fantasies I owe all the clothes that are being sold. Essay writers are good with their work and it is great they keep increasing. I hope they get effort funds to build the shops.

07/05/2016 1:44am

I am looking forward for your new story. It's such an inspiring story that changes my life. I live in Virginia, America. It is a very familiar place for me. I can't handle this feeling when I got a chance to remember everything. I like the story of their friendship. I value my friends that I have right now. It's something that I’ve wanted to say for a long time. I want my friends to be aware that I value them so hard. I don't want to miss this opportunity.

08/29/2016 1:38am

This is a very wonderful true story. The person who told this story is still alive. It's amazing how they are able to share this now to the public. We can now remember them every time we visit the places that are mentioned. It's indeed a story of courage.

09/17/2016 1:14pm

We are going strong with an army of students!

12/19/2016 2:53am

Staminon Herself on our hearts along with her rattling horny Staminon position in NBC's blind-spot Best of all.

07/15/2017 1:11am

These pictures are very dramatic. Does the place really look like that? Some parts of the world are like that all the time. It's like the sun never visits them often. This has something to do with their location in the equator. What I don't understand is how come all these evidence and talk about the earth being flat does not seem to make sense to these kind of places.

08/10/2016 5:25am

Ok, I will watch that. Thank you for this recommendation. I appreciate it.

Shopping Is One of the Most Popular Activities in Dubai, for the Locals and Tourists Alike. The Experience of Shopping in Dubai Is Indeed an Intriguing One. Malls in Dubai Are Realizations of Unrestrained Fantasy, Having Ski Slopes, Ice Rinks and Aquariums.

09/15/2016 6:18am

Yes I am similarly in quest for of Flash instructional activities, as I might need to take in additional on the subject of gleam, so if you have please post it here.

09/26/2016 4:43am

It’s great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same out of date rehashed material. Fantastic read!

10/02/2016 8:22am

This attack of the Sullivan Street is seriously unforgettable. They find something best shelter for them, which helps them in every single point of their life.

12/09/2016 10:41am

Frequently, there is an extremely basic answer for the understudy financing issue, so it is definitely justified even despite the exertion meeting and talking about choices with the guide.

12/17/2016 2:28am

02/09/2017 7:43am

Alpha Monster Advanced You must, however, also paintings your biceps and triceps individually as well. mainly, perform the bicep barbell curl and the triceps pulley press down. http://t-rexmuscleadvice.com/alpha-monster-advanced/

03/13/2017 10:34am

You have some truly extraordinary posts and it feels like a decent resource

05/02/2017 1:45am

05/02/2017 1:48am

its a great blog

05/02/2017 1:51am

thanks for the given great info

05/13/2017 6:06pm

Actuary Assignment Help, Actuarial science assignment help in the actuarial field of science from primary to complex level for the understudies of US UK.